This oversized tote bag measures an amazing 27” x 25” x 8"! It is great for a day at the beach, a weekend away, or an afternoon at the kids’ sporting events!
7/8 yd 40” wide Cotton Print
1 3/8 yd 60” wide Solid Canvas or Bottomweight fabric
Cut 1 piece 27.5” by WOF
Subcut that piece into 2 pieces 27 ½”” x 17 ½”
From Solid Bottomweight
Cut 1 piece 27 ½” by WOF
Subcut that piece into 2 pieces 27.5” x 25 ½”
Cut 2 strip 4 ½” by WOF
Cut 1 strip 8 ½” by WOF
Subcut that piece into 2 pieces 8 ½” x 27 ½”
1. Fold a 4 ½” by WOF strip in half lengthwise with right sides together and sew using a ¼” seam to create a handle strap.
2. Turn right side out and press.
3. Top stitch 1/8” away from both edges to create a finished strap.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 to complete the second strap.
5. Pin one strap to the right side of one of the cotton print rectangles, having the strap 7” from the side edge and matching the raw edge of the strap with the bottom edge of the cotton print.
7. Baste the strap to the cotton print along the bottom edge.
8. Repeat steps 5 through 7 to attach the second strap to the other cotton print rectangle.
9. With right sides together, sew an 8 ½” solid bottomweight rectangle to the bottom edge of the cotton print.
10. Press seam towards bottomweight.
11. Top stitch 1/8” away from the seam.
12. Repeat steps 9 through 11 for the other side of the bag exterior.
13. Having completed both sides of the bag exterior, place the two pieces together with right sides together and sew along the sides and bottom, being sure to keep straps out of the seam.
14. On one corner, measure 4” in from the side,
and 4” up from the bottom,
Mark, and cut this 4” square out of the corner.
15. Repeat step 14 for the other corner of the bag exterior.
16. Pull sides apart at the new raw points created when the square was removed. Align the raw edges, match seams, and sew.
17. Repeat step 16 for the other corner of the bag exterior. This will have created a square bottom to your bag!
18. Place solid bottomweight 27 ½” x 25 ½” rectangles with right sides together and sew along the sides and the bottom to create the bag lining.
19. Repeat steps 14 through 17 for the solid bottomweight bag lining to create the same square bottom in the lining.
20. With right sides together, place lining inside the bag exterior, match top raw edges and side seams.
21. Sew along the top edge, leaving and 8” opening for turning.
22. Turn bag right side out.
23. Turn in ¼” of the exterior and lining at the opening that was used for turning and pin closed.
24. Top stitch close to the edge to secure the opening, and continue top stitching around the entire top edge of the bag.
25. Lay bag flat, feel along the inside of the bag, and ensure that all lining and exterior point and seams are matching up.
26. Lay strap flat against bag exterior. Being sure to keep the edge of the strap 6 ¾” from the edge of the bag, pin in place. Do this for both ends of the strap.
27. Starting at the top of the bag, sew through all layers of the strap, bag exterior, and bag lining along the previous topstitching line on the strap to secure it. For durability, sew along the top of the strap where it meets the top edge of the bag, and along the bottom of the strap where it meets the bottomweight accent of the bag exterior.
28. Repeat step 27 for the strap on the other side of the bag.
29. Pack and enjoy!