Skip to main content

Working on my PHD: Tumbler, Gypsy Girl, and Merry Go Round

I am happy to have been so productive over the last couple of weeks!  I haven't been able to post really due to data/internet troubles, but I've got some fun quilty projects to show you today! 
 
First I have a tumbler quilt that I put the finishing touches on.  It's all in subtle country prints and I like its little country charm. 
 

 
I've had a bundle of fat quarters that I've been hoarding for about 4 years.  It's a Free Spirit line called Journeys from Kathy Davis.  I just loved the prints and couldn't find a pattern that I though was worthy of my coveted bundle.  I finally took the leap and cut into my bundle and I'm really happy with the results!  I used the Gypsy Girl pattern from Heather Mulder Peterson's Fat Quarter Five book.  It's so full of color and fun!


 
I've been rather disappointed with my free motion results lately. While I like the stitching that I'm putting in to the quilts, I haven't gotten a satisfactory backing lay out all summer. I don't have enough space in an RV and carpet just gives too much play in the backing for my liking.  Each of the quilts I've done over the summer I've been so happy to have my completed quilt top and then once I've quilted it, my excitement dies and mixes with a bit of disappointment as I see a couple puckers and folds that cropped up while I was sewing.  So, I've decided that I'm going to bring these two tops to a friend of mine for longarm quilting.  She runs Quilt Squirrel and does excellent work. I am so excited to see what she can do with my quilts! 
 
 
The last of my project for the last couple week has been whipping up a couple Merry Go Round toppers from Terry Atkinson.  I used a couple prints from the Persimmon line as well as a couple Moda Grunge prints and a Bella solid for the background. 
 
 
I still need to hand sew the binding to the backing. I'm planning on amassing a few of these small projects to take with me on a relaxing trip up north next week.  So while I'm sitting by the lake with not a care in the world I can do a bit of hand stitching.  That sounds so great right now, I can't wait!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my PHD: Finished Flannel Hopscotch Quilt

I want to post some updates of the Flannel Hopscotch quilt that I finished this week.  It turned out great and I'm really happy with my new queen sized bed quilt.  I was able to finish hand sewing my binding during our down time this week.  The striped binding adds a lot of character to the edge of the quilt.  The quilt is very heavy and super warm!  I will definitely be using this on those cold nights this winter!  Now that this quilt has been completed and stored away, I've already brought out my next project half done to get wrapped up. I brought the start of an up north themed lap quilt to the local quilt shop and purchased some fabric for borders and binding.    I want the top to be bigger, but not a full bed quilt like the flannel hopscotch quilt. This quilt top I started with a panel and two charm packs.  Very simple design, but the colors and up north theme will compliment my home very well. ...

Creating a Blog Planner

I like to think I'm a pretty organized gal.  But with a busy life and lots of work, my mental best laid plans for blogging are quickly falling through the cracks. I ran across this great blog planner through Pinterest and I'm getting ready to give it a whirl!  The printables that Lamberts Lately  developed here are absolutely adorable and I can't wait to put them to use! Another awesome Pinterest find was this great tutorial from Just A Beautiful Life on to-do's and best practices for creating your own blogging binder. Between the great advice from both of these sites, I've got a start on my own blogging binder. I did a little office supply shopping (honestly, I love shopping for office supplies!) and picked up a cute colorful binder, some tab dividers, sheet protectors, loose leaf lined paper, and post it notes to put together with my freshly printed blog planning sheets. I have a three hole punch and nice markers at home to use already...

Finding the right words...

Hello there quilters and crafters!   After I took a little hiatus from writing on my blog, I have been constantly thinking about topics to write about and projects to show you all.  However, I keep talking myself out of them.  "I don't have the RIGHT tools to really show that topic well." "That project isn't perfect, so I don't know if I should show that on the blog."    Sitting down to a blank screen can be very intimidating.  I don't want to say things wrong or be unclear.  I don't want to be too cliché or corny or too impersonal either.  For some reason, finding the right words can be pretty difficult some days.    Reading previous posts and over-analyzing myself (as I tend to do) I found that I was trying TOO hard to find the right words.  They were words that helped a person understand, but not words that were inviting or friendly, or personal to me.  They were text-book boring!   I stri...