Skip to main content

Modern Baby Girl Quilt

One of my coworkers will soon be having another grandchild.  It's exciting for her, even at this busy time in our season; for me it's a great opportunity to make another baby quilt!

Baby quilts are a perfect time to try to new design because of their size.  They go together quickly and still show off the fabric and pattern wonderfully. 

I had seen this neat layout for a nine patch online and wanted to try one for myself.  I chose 8 pink fabrics from my stash and cut 16 3.5" squares from each of them.  I then selected a tone on tone white since I didn't have enough solid white on hand, and cut 16 3.5" squares, as well as 10 2.5" strips for the sashing. 


The blocks went together easy enough. I did all of my cutting as well as piecing the 16 blocks before work on Sunday. 


After we finished driving today, I took advantage of the rainy day and stayed inside to finish my quilt!  I layed out my blocks in a 4 by 4 configuration with the 2 inch sashing strips in between. 


I am really happy with how the design turned out.  I think she'll love it!




 
I pieced a flannel backing for my quilt.  I think the pieced look for the backing sets off the quilt top nicely. 

 
I quilted the quilt using a meander design.  In retrospect I kind of wish that I had chosen a more modern quilting design.  Some wonky blocks or straight lines may have done the quilt a bit more justice. 
 
The quilt was then bound with 5 2.5" strips from my stash using my machine sewing binding technique.

 
The meander brought the quilt back to the traditional a bit, but overall I think I'm still satisfied with how it turned out. 


It's a fun and simple design for a baby quilt that will hopefully be loved and used a lot!


 
Maybe next time when using this design I'll get even more scrappy with the blocks.  I think that would be a lot of fun too.  Like I said, baby quilts are the perfect way to try new designs and now I have ideas on how to make it even better next time! 

 
Thanks for reading, and I hope everyone has had a safe and enjoyable Memorial day! 
 
Katie



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my PHD: Finished Flannel Hopscotch Quilt

I want to post some updates of the Flannel Hopscotch quilt that I finished this week.  It turned out great and I'm really happy with my new queen sized bed quilt.  I was able to finish hand sewing my binding during our down time this week.  The striped binding adds a lot of character to the edge of the quilt.  The quilt is very heavy and super warm!  I will definitely be using this on those cold nights this winter!  Now that this quilt has been completed and stored away, I've already brought out my next project half done to get wrapped up. I brought the start of an up north themed lap quilt to the local quilt shop and purchased some fabric for borders and binding.    I want the top to be bigger, but not a full bed quilt like the flannel hopscotch quilt. This quilt top I started with a panel and two charm packs.  Very simple design, but the colors and up north theme will compliment my home very well. ...

Creating a Blog Planner

I like to think I'm a pretty organized gal.  But with a busy life and lots of work, my mental best laid plans for blogging are quickly falling through the cracks. I ran across this great blog planner through Pinterest and I'm getting ready to give it a whirl!  The printables that Lamberts Lately  developed here are absolutely adorable and I can't wait to put them to use! Another awesome Pinterest find was this great tutorial from Just A Beautiful Life on to-do's and best practices for creating your own blogging binder. Between the great advice from both of these sites, I've got a start on my own blogging binder. I did a little office supply shopping (honestly, I love shopping for office supplies!) and picked up a cute colorful binder, some tab dividers, sheet protectors, loose leaf lined paper, and post it notes to put together with my freshly printed blog planning sheets. I have a three hole punch and nice markers at home to use already...

Finding the right words...

Hello there quilters and crafters!   After I took a little hiatus from writing on my blog, I have been constantly thinking about topics to write about and projects to show you all.  However, I keep talking myself out of them.  "I don't have the RIGHT tools to really show that topic well." "That project isn't perfect, so I don't know if I should show that on the blog."    Sitting down to a blank screen can be very intimidating.  I don't want to say things wrong or be unclear.  I don't want to be too cliché or corny or too impersonal either.  For some reason, finding the right words can be pretty difficult some days.    Reading previous posts and over-analyzing myself (as I tend to do) I found that I was trying TOO hard to find the right words.  They were words that helped a person understand, but not words that were inviting or friendly, or personal to me.  They were text-book boring!   I stri...