Skip to main content

A Little Carnival Sewing


In addition to the lots and lots of quilting that I do, I also do a lot of sewing that is more utilitarian.  Working for a carnival I get a lot of requests to mend clothes for the guys, make carnival flags for the rides and food trailers, and other random sewing fixes that need to be done.  No one ever thought that the show needed a seamstress, but these guys sure keep me busy!

Today’s project was not actually one that I was commissioned to do, but a project that I undertook as a gift for my brother in law.  He prides himself on having a ride that always looks and runs great.





Over the winter I thought that a nice way to help keep his ride looking its best would be to have some nicer protective wraps around the bars for when the ride is travelling down the road. 





When the fence and lights lay against the handle bars of the ride they tend to rub the paint off.  These protective wraps will stop that wear and tear! 


They are made out of vinyl and half inch foam so they will be weatherproof as well.

The pole at the top of the ride with the pirate flag also needed a protective wrap so that it doesn’t get scuffed up when it’s travelling. 





His control box cover for travel was also getting very worn out.  So I grabbed that and whipped up a new one as well.  It’s made from canvas with a drawstring at the bottom. 

 

I know he’ll love his gift in his own OCD way.  I can’t wait to give all this to him!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working on my PHD: Finished Flannel Hopscotch Quilt

I want to post some updates of the Flannel Hopscotch quilt that I finished this week.  It turned out great and I'm really happy with my new queen sized bed quilt.  I was able to finish hand sewing my binding during our down time this week.  The striped binding adds a lot of character to the edge of the quilt.  The quilt is very heavy and super warm!  I will definitely be using this on those cold nights this winter!  Now that this quilt has been completed and stored away, I've already brought out my next project half done to get wrapped up. I brought the start of an up north themed lap quilt to the local quilt shop and purchased some fabric for borders and binding.    I want the top to be bigger, but not a full bed quilt like the flannel hopscotch quilt. This quilt top I started with a panel and two charm packs.  Very simple design, but the colors and up north theme will compliment my home very well. ...

Creating a Blog Planner

I like to think I'm a pretty organized gal.  But with a busy life and lots of work, my mental best laid plans for blogging are quickly falling through the cracks. I ran across this great blog planner through Pinterest and I'm getting ready to give it a whirl!  The printables that Lamberts Lately  developed here are absolutely adorable and I can't wait to put them to use! Another awesome Pinterest find was this great tutorial from Just A Beautiful Life on to-do's and best practices for creating your own blogging binder. Between the great advice from both of these sites, I've got a start on my own blogging binder. I did a little office supply shopping (honestly, I love shopping for office supplies!) and picked up a cute colorful binder, some tab dividers, sheet protectors, loose leaf lined paper, and post it notes to put together with my freshly printed blog planning sheets. I have a three hole punch and nice markers at home to use already...

Finding the right words...

Hello there quilters and crafters!   After I took a little hiatus from writing on my blog, I have been constantly thinking about topics to write about and projects to show you all.  However, I keep talking myself out of them.  "I don't have the RIGHT tools to really show that topic well." "That project isn't perfect, so I don't know if I should show that on the blog."    Sitting down to a blank screen can be very intimidating.  I don't want to say things wrong or be unclear.  I don't want to be too cliché or corny or too impersonal either.  For some reason, finding the right words can be pretty difficult some days.    Reading previous posts and over-analyzing myself (as I tend to do) I found that I was trying TOO hard to find the right words.  They were words that helped a person understand, but not words that were inviting or friendly, or personal to me.  They were text-book boring!   I stri...