I've been working for a while on an applique sample for my quilting class. I'm generally not very fond of applique because I find it so time consuming. But the project is turning out great now that I had some time to sit down and work on it.
The first thing to do was to finish up each of my applique block. I used a raw edge applique technique and topstitched the pieced to the background using a blanket stitch.
Once, I got going, it really came together quickly. (The most time consuming part was of course appliqueing the pieces, so simpling piecing the blocks was so much faster.)
Here's a fun close up of the cute "bundle up" applique!
I used the pattern from American Patchwork and Quilting. Love this magazine!
The pattern was great and easy to follow. I just made a few changes from their pattern. Mainly, the snowball cornerstones I made small snowflake applique blocks, and instead of a solid border I used a pieced border.
I laid out the wallhanging top and had to use straight pins instead of the usual curved pins since they are all wrapped up in a different quilt. On a smaller quilt top like this I don't mind straight pins so much.
For the quilting I used a stipple in the background and along the sashing I used three rows of straight line quilting.
I love the way the quilt top turned out. Now it just needs a binding!
I think I might show this at the Fiber Arts Festival in February as well. :)