Skip to main content

Christmas sewing

This has definitely been another handmade Christmas season! Everyone in my family is getting handmade things just for them.  From clothes to accessories, I've sewn a lot of fun things in these last few weeks.  I got a late start, but seem to have sewn quicker than usual!  There is only one thing left on sewing to-do list for this Christmas.  I'm feeling great about how productive I've been.  The most recent project I made is this wallhanging for my mom. 
 
I kind of feel like it's a little corny for me to do a wallhanging with pictures, but it's not about what I would like, but what she would like.  And I know she's going to love it!  I simply printed the family photos on colorfast fabric sheets with 2" finished sashing strips. 

 
To fill the extra space that doesn't have photos, I placed two of these great blocks, appropriately called "Nelson's Victory."  I hope she can appreciate the title of the quilt block as much as I did when picking it out!

 
The final touch for the wallhanging was to add this half square triangle border.  Not being square, I knew that the triangles wouldn't line up perfectly on one side, but I'm still happy with the results.  The colors are perfect for my mom and I know she'll love the pictures of her kids. 
 
Pictures of all the other fabulous handmade gifts I've sewn up will be coming after the holiday. 

Have a wonderful holiday weekend.  Merry Christmas!
 
Katie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tori's Pillow

My boyfriend’s little sister had her 11 th birthday this week.   We’re taking her out to the movies tomorrow afternoon and I wanted to bring her something hand made with her birthday gift.   She’s already a crafty little girl and loves to make beaded bracelets and necklaces.   When I am there doing a little bit of hand work, she loves to watch me sew, too!   So, I picked up a little bracelet kit and a peace sign cross stitch kit that I plan on working on with her, as well as the first Harry Potter book.   She’s at the same age I was when I started reading those books and I hope she comes to love them as much as I do!     I debated for quite a while on what to make for her to add to her birthday gift.   I contemplated making a big floor cushion for her or a quillow for travelling on the volleyball bus next year.   Both of these would be great gifts and I will probably still make them for her soon, but I needed something quicker, smaller, and something that required little t

Creating a Blog Planner

I like to think I'm a pretty organized gal.  But with a busy life and lots of work, my mental best laid plans for blogging are quickly falling through the cracks. I ran across this great blog planner through Pinterest and I'm getting ready to give it a whirl!  The printables that Lamberts Lately  developed here are absolutely adorable and I can't wait to put them to use! Another awesome Pinterest find was this great tutorial from Just A Beautiful Life on to-do's and best practices for creating your own blogging binder. Between the great advice from both of these sites, I've got a start on my own blogging binder. I did a little office supply shopping (honestly, I love shopping for office supplies!) and picked up a cute colorful binder, some tab dividers, sheet protectors, loose leaf lined paper, and post it notes to put together with my freshly printed blog planning sheets. I have a three hole punch and nice markers at home to use already.  It was su

Finding the right words...

Hello there quilters and crafters!   After I took a little hiatus from writing on my blog, I have been constantly thinking about topics to write about and projects to show you all.  However, I keep talking myself out of them.  "I don't have the RIGHT tools to really show that topic well." "That project isn't perfect, so I don't know if I should show that on the blog."    Sitting down to a blank screen can be very intimidating.  I don't want to say things wrong or be unclear.  I don't want to be too cliché or corny or too impersonal either.  For some reason, finding the right words can be pretty difficult some days.    Reading previous posts and over-analyzing myself (as I tend to do) I found that I was trying TOO hard to find the right words.  They were words that helped a person understand, but not words that were inviting or friendly, or personal to me.  They were text-book boring!   I strive so hard to do the best I can and I w